Re: downgrading from unstable to testing

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 10:26:45AM +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote......

> My preferences file is:
> ===
> Package: *
> Pin: release l=Debian-Security
> Pin-Priority: 750
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 700
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 600
> ===

I've been following this thread of downgrading and preferences file, and
decided to see what my preference file settings were (I'm a debian
newbie).  Surprise when I found that I didn't have one in /etc/apt/.  I
presume there's a built-in set of defaults and that you only need a
preferences file if you want to customize.

If I want to live my debian life in the middle with 'testing', should I
create a preferences file?  If I don't, and just put entries for testing
at the top of my sources list, does that mean the apt-get function will
never descend down beyond the first entries of sources.list?

Thanks
Kevin