Re: downgrading from unstable to testing

--Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote
(on Wednesday, 11 September 2002, 03:53 PM +0200):
> On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 15:23, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > so my big question of the
> > day is: how do I downgrade from unstable to testing? I know I can
> > "simply" change my apt.sources list to point at testing, but since most
> > of the software I have installed is of a newer version than sarge, won't
> > it simply keep telling me I already have the latest version?
>
> I also started out with mostly everything from unstable, and I never did
> downgrade, but I just waited for the packages to trickle down to
> testing.
>
> As downgrades are often not properly supported, you'll probably want to
> do the same (or remove unstable sources alltogether), unless some
> packages are really broken. As long as it works, I would not actively
> downgrade any packages.
Unfortunately, some of the packages no longer work -- and as I need to
_use_ the machine, I need a certain degree of stability. I also need to
have a machine a little more on "the bleeding edge" than woody.

> I have to set up my preferences file to prefer testing/updates with
> priority 750, and normally use just testing with 700. (this assumes
> you've read man apt_preferences).
I've read apt_preferences, and here are the contents of my
/etc/apt/preferences file:

Package: *
Pin: release v=3.*,a=testing,c=*,o=*,l=Debian
Pin-Priority: 1001

I have also changed my sources.list to point only at testing for the
time being. When I do an apt-show-versions -u, however, no packages are
returned (well, on the first try, 7 were, but they were actual upgrades
to what I had... hmmm..).

I suspect that either I have the Pin wrong, or that I need to bump the
Pin-Priority even higher... Anybody have any ideas?

--Matthew