Re: Woody stops working without cause!?!

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 13:59, Eddie wrote:
> This is a wierd one! I have a dual boot (WinXP\Debian) and until last
> week both worked fine. No change was made to the Debian system and it
> crashed while I was creating a .xinitrc file. Upon rebooting the system
> would get stuck (halt) at various times before it could get to the
> prompt. Sometimes it would say hda: lost interrupt (though I've read all
> the post about this and tried playing with the BIOS's APM to no avail),
> sometimes it would get stuck at the agp read (I've tried 3 differnt
> video cards) and sometimes it spits out a CPU error saying it can't
> swap. The odd thing is this happens with any kernel (tomtbrt, the boot I
> made when I first installed woody 3 months ago, the Debian boot CD, as
> well as both my hdd kernels!). I brought it to a firend's place and ran
> fschk (fixed some Inodes), badblocks (nothing) as well as compiling and
> installing the kernel again. I was able to boot off his machine (with my
> hdd as the primary drive no prob), but when I came home and tried it on
> mine same problem! My MB is an abit BP6 and has had plently working
> Linux versions and nothing was changed for over a month on the system.
> I've tried playing with BIOS settings, inserting and removing parts
> (ram, cpus, video cards) nothing works. I ran Tufftest pro on the system
> and it passes with no problem and windows XP has had absolutely no
> problems. I can't even sucessfully boot off a disk to format the
> partition!?!
> Any ideas?

Download the woody boot iso or floppies. At the boot prompt, type in:

    rescue root=/dev/hda2
    (insert the appropriate drive letter and partition)

You should get a good system boot from the floppy/iso kernel.

The kernel image may be corrupted. Download the appropriate kernel
source:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=kernel-source&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all

    $ make menuconfig
    $ make dep && make bzImage modules modules_install
    $ make install

Read the kernel INSTALL file in the source directory for full
instructions (in /usr/src).

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator