Re: Sound not working

Hi David,

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 the mental interface of
David Pastern told:

> Hi again,
[...]

What are you doing there? I thought you install a debian box!
Do you want to build your system from scratch? Bahh. Try GenTo or
something else. BTW there exists a project "linux from scratch". Use
google to find it.

> 1> Check that you have kernel-source in /usr/src/x.x.x
>
> 2> Change linux_src_directory to correct path in "config.in"
>
> 3> Copy soundcore and ac97_codec source to current directory
>
> "make snd_install"
[...]

Enough for yet. Try it the debian way. You've build your own kernel.
As I read former threads you did it on the classic way. Now:

Get the kernel-sources you want:
apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18
If you want:
apt-get -t testing install kernel-source-2.4.19

For your sound get working you need:
apt-get install alsa-source

chdir to /usr/src
do a tar -xjvf kernel-source-2.4.1X.tar.bz2
do a tar -xzvf alsa-driver.tar.gz
The drivers will then be in /usr/src/modules.

Do a ln-s kernel-source-2.4.1X linux.

chdir /usr/src/linux.
do a make-menuconfig or in X make-xconfig.

configure your kernel for your needs. BTW you don't have to compile
the sound stuff directly. Only choosing CONFIG_SOUND=m seems to be
enough for  using the alsa-drivers.

After your config has finished do:

make-kpkg --initrd --revision=YOURVERSION1.0 --kernel-image \
--modules-image

Go for a cup of coffee (maybe you prefer a glas of whisky). After
compiling you have to switch back to /usr/src. Do

dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.19_YOURVERSION1.0_i386.deb
dpkg -i alsa-modules-2.4.19_0.9+0beta12+3+p0+YOURVERSION1.0_i386.deb

Check the advices while installing your new kernel-deb package.
Your lilo must confirm to your new kernel. Put your user to grp audio.
Start mp3blaster and enyoy Frank Zappa on your debian-way build
woody-box! ;-)

If you want to use 2.4.19 don't forget to do an update to the
recomended compiling stuff:
apt-get -t testing install initrd-tools fileutils modutils.

I suppose yor next mail will be written with mutt or either other
linux mua ;-)

Ciao

Elimar

--