Sound not working

Hi again,

I am not able to get sound working via sndconfig on my debian system.  I'm
running woody, 2.4.18 kernel, i've compiled a kernel with modules for my
sound card ((via82cxxx chipset - onboard sound).  Previously I hadn't loaded
the OSS modules, so as per advice from a friend, I loaded them.  sndconfig
still errors out, with the following error message:

"You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled.
(soundcore.o was not found in the module search path).  To use sndconfig,
you must be running a kernel with modular sound, such as the kernel shipped
with Red Hat Linux or a 2.2 or greater kernel."

Now i'm running the via sound module as a part of the kernel, not a module.
Is that why it is not working, and the above error message occurs whilst
running sndconfig?  Or is it something else?  I've enabled sound etc as well
in kernel.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I've come across this article on the web (it relates to an onboard sis
soundcard with redhat):

**Before install this driver, you should make sure that your kernel had
enable "sound card support" !
(the option of "sound" item in building kernel)

This driver is for kernel RedHat kernel 2.4.x. You can install this driver
by useing script "install" or follow steps descributed below:
Note : if there are soundcore.o and ac97_codec.o in your kernel, you can
skip step 3,4,6
(you can use command "insmod soundcore" and "insmod ac97_codec" to
test if there are these two modules)

1> Check that you have kernel-source in /usr/src/x.x.x

2> Change linux_src_directory to correct path in "config.in"

3> Copy soundcore and ac97_codec source to current directory

"make snd_install"

or :

"cp /usr/src/x.x.x/drivers/sound/sound_core.* ./"
"cp /usr/src/x.x.x/drivers/sound/sound_firmware.* ./"
"cp /usr/src/x.x.x/drivers/sound/os.h ./"
"cp /usr/src/x.x.x/drivers/sound/ac97_codec.* ./"

4> Generate soundcore and ac97_codec module

"make soundcore.o"
"make ac97_codec.o"

5> Generate sis7012 driver module

"make"

6> Copy soundcore.o , ac97_codec.o to module directory

"cp soundcore.o /lib/modules/x.x.x/kernel/drivers/sound
"cp ac97_codec.o /lib/modules/x.x.x/kernel/drivers/sound

7> Copy sis7012.o to module directory

"cp sis7012.o /lib/modules/x.x.x/kernel/drivers/sound

8> Modify the file "/etc/modules.conf". Add two lines into it :

alias sound-slot-0 sis7012

9> Reboot your computer and configurate sis7012.

I'm not sure if I have to do something similar to this, if so, where can I
find the source for both soundcore?  I'm pretty sure the ac_97 is loaded OK
as per this part of dmesg log:

Via 686a audio driver 1.9.1
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:07.5
IRQ routing conflict for 00:07.5, have irq 11, want irq 10
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:0d.0
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x4943:0x4511 (ICE1232)
via82cxxx: board #1 at 0xCC00, IRQ 11

If I need to provide more information, or there is documentation (that i've
inadvertently missed) point me in the right direction and i'll give it a
bash (aussie slang for try it).

Many thanks in anticipation,

Dave