Re: idiot's guide to X, gnome (or kde) & window managers

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 11:41:41PM +0100, Chris Evans wrote:
> Hm.  Open source is wonderful but its documentation isn't always as
> obvious for a luser as it might be.
>
> I've set up xfree86 on my server and had lots of trouble with X
> installation, I think the Woody upgrade probably breaks some
> dependencies as there's one other prior thread in the archives about
> this.  Anyway, purging the packages with dkpg and reinstalling them
> stopped it complaining about fonts and have it just about working
> with svga and ps/aux mouse.  I'm starting with startx and it's
> defaulting to gnome desktop and twm window manager which isn't really
> what I wanted.  However, it's still doing very odd things.
>
> Going to the Xwindow configuration through gnome says that it's in
> standard-VESA mode at 1024x768 and using a PS/2 mouse all of which is
> what I wanted and took some achieving.  The odd thing is that the
> mouse handling is hopeless: the mouse pointer jumps all over the show
> each time it selects something.  I think something's badly wrong with
> the focus handling.  Clues seem to be messages saying:
> Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x2c000*** unexpectedly destroyed
> on quitting (the hex digits are different and there are six of those
> lines showing.
>
> Other oddities are:
> a) that gnome doesn't like either twm or Ice WM - what wm should I
> use? and how do I set it and remove the others?  (I though dselect
> said they were gnome compliant)
> b) a complaint about my locales: where are they set?
> c) XFree86.0.log has stopped updating so no information there since I
> reinstalled.  How do I get it going again?!
>
> Help please!

maybe your learnings can be shared with the rest of us.
have you got this nailed down comfortably yet? if so
others like you would benefit from hearing about it.

you help us learn, we'll help you learn, and together we
can help others stay out of the very same quagmire.

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 2.2;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #126 from Sean Quinlan <smq@gmx.co.uk>
:
How to SUSPEND A SCREEN SESSION -- two keys: control-a control-d
(hold down control, and press "a" then "d") to detach the
session (and return you to your shell).  You can then reattach
with "screen -r".  You can also use "screen -ls" to list all
screen sessions and their pids, in order to connect to a
specific screen session.  And you can use "screen -x" to connect
to an already connected screen session (I generally use -x
instead of -r, since it does more :).
  Of course, "man screen" will give you more options.