Linux won't boot

Hi guys,

Well - i'm at a loss with this.  I'm running Woody, kernel 2.4.18 (bf24) and
it was all working ok.  I needed to get my soundcard working (via82cxxx
chipset - onboard sound).  I had the modules compiled in the kernel for
this.  I did an apt-get install sndconfig and installed that to help setup
sound.  That didn't work as I needed to configure OSS into my kernel.  So
off I went to recompile and reconfigure my kernel.

Now I did a silly thing - after doing all the necessary stuff I just copied
across the System.map and bzImage files to my /boot dir and renamed them to
current kernel and .map files - overwriting them.  I'm kicking myself for
not being my usually careful self and backing original files up.

Anyways - I rebooted system, chose the particular kernel I wanted to launch
and it just hangs now at the following point.

It freezes my whole system and ctl alt del does not work to reboot PC.  I
have to manually force the system off.  Now i've put a lot of effort into
getting this working, and having done so i'm rather upset to have it
suddenly break on me.

Is there any reason why including the OSS module in the kernel would do
this?  Is there any way that I can possibly salvage this without having to
recompile a kernel from scratch?  I do have my original default kernel still
in lilo etc and it is loadable.  I tried rebooting system again, just in
case it was a one off system crash, but same thing occurred.  Is it possible
that somehow during the recompile something went wrong?  There were no error
messages during any of the stages...

I'm not sure what further information I can provide that might be useful -
feel free to make suggestions and i'll do my best to provide any further
information that already provided.

Dave