Re: What happens to modules after recompiling to a new kernel

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:58:54PM -0700, Irvin Temp wrote:

> Good day,
>
> Trying to understand things as much as i can. I need a little help on some concepts
> here. I installed linux and it detected my hardware e.g lancard and loaded the
> module for it. After installation i downloaded latest kernel and recompiled it with
> drivers builtin the kernel.
>
> Q1. When i recompiled my kernel what happens to the old modules that i have will
> they be unusable or i can still use this modules?
>
> Q2. Would there be a problem if ill use the modules compiled from the old kernel with
> the new kernel that im using? e.g use modules from 2.2.19 on the 2.4.19 kernel..
>
> TIA

  If you are changing kernel version (old kernel is 2.2.19 and new
  kernel is 2.4.19) then
  * the old modules are in /lib/modules/2.2.19/
  * the new modules will be in /lib/modules/2.4.19/
  * you may not have your old sound card modules if the new kernel
    modules don't include them
  * with a leap in kernel version that large (going from a 2.2 series
    kernel to a 2.4 series kernel) I wouldn't be inclined to try and use
    the modules from the earlier kernel, and would be looking at
    compiling the modules I need from within the new 2.4.19 tree.

  Geoff Crompton