Re: debconf 1.1.30 broken?

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 08:35:02AM +0200, Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf) wrote:
> I have been having the following problem with debconf in the past week:
>

> root@expresso> apt-get install debconf
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Sorry, debconf is already the newest version.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 224  not
> upgraded.
> 2 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Setting up debconf (1.1.30) ...
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29.
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Template.pm line 53, <GEN1> line 6.
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29, <GEN1> line 6.
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Template.pm line 53, <GEN1> line 6.
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29, <GEN1> line 6.
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Template.pm line 53, <GEN1> line 6.
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29, <GEN1> line 6.
> Can't call method "choices" on an undefined value at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 85, <GEN1> line 6.
> dpkg: error processing debconf (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pcmcia-cs:
>  pcmcia-cs depends on debconf (>= 0.2.17); however:
>   Package debconf is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing pcmcia-cs (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  debconf
>  pcmcia-cs
>

> As you can see, there is another problem with pcmcia-cs, but I do not
> want to upgrade that one as I hang my system each time I do it,
> requiring me to fsck my disks :( That's should be treated in another
> mail...
>

> Back to the problem: debconf doesn't update. I have no idea where this
> comes from neither how to solve it. A hint would be appreciated.

  It looks like pcmcia-cs doesn't really have a problem. It just can't
  be configured because debconf isn't installed properly to configure
  it.
  I wonder if you might have any success if you did a purge and then a
  reinstall of debconf. (Mind you, that might break things, so take this
  advice with a grain of salt).
  It looks (from your version number) that you are running either
  testing or unstable. Maybe there was a recent change to the package
  that broke it, or possibly (in unstable) something big is changing
  with perl, which broke it.
  I had a look at the BTS for debconf, and didn't see anything obvious
  about this. But it does look like debconf is being developed and
  undergoing changes in unstable.

  I guess I haven't really helped a lot. Maybe an email to the package
  maintainer might help, or lodging something in the BTS.

  Geoff Crompton