Re: debconf 1.1.30 broken?

Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf) wrote:
> I have been having the following problem with debconf in the past week:
>
> root@expresso> apt-get install debconf
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Sorry, debconf is already the newest version.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 224  not
> upgraded.
> 2 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Setting up debconf (1.1.30) ...
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29.

This probably indicates that your debconf database has gotten corrupted
somehow. Please tar up and send me a copy of /var/cache/debconf/*

You can attempt to repair the problem by running
/usr/share/debconf/fix_db.pl as root. If that fails, you can just blow
away /var/cache/debconf/*. But do send me copy first so I can
investigate what went wrong.

> As you can see, there is another problem with pcmcia-cs, but I do not
> want to upgrade that one as I hang my system each time I do it,
> requiring me to fsck my disks :( That's should be treated in another
> mail...

It's possible of course that this hang caused some disk or file
corruption that is at the root of your problem with debconf. I do try to
sync the disk after writing out the debconf database though.

--
see shy jo