Re: Why mailing-lists? Usenet have been invented, I hear. ;-)

>>"David" == David Pastern <david@scsenterprises.com.au> writes:

 David> I will 100% stand by my original words on elitism being
 David> present in linux and its users.  I know not everyone one of
 David> you guys is like this.  The vast majority are nice, helpful
 David> and patient from what I have seen on the posts so far, despite
 David> seeing the same questions being asked time and time again.

	Why is elitism supposedly so bad?  Elitism - ie a high
 standard of technical excellence - is *exactly* what we're here for,
 and continue failure to recognise that will lead and is leading to
 problems. Indeed, I support measures which raise the bar to new
 maintainers, provided they concentrate on qualities that are valuable
 in a developer - chiefly, a very high level of technical competence.

	Of course, this does not apply to users, but there is a
 spillover effect. Since most people working for Debian are working to
 scratch their own itch, (remember, I said most, not all), Debian ends
 up being targeted to people similar to the developers, for the most
 part. Reaching maximal market share has never really been a goal for
 a significant number of developers.

	Now, recognizing the Debian should be lead by those who are
 most capable, rather than those with blue skin or with
 seniority -- does not imply that one has to be rude to people, or
 sneer at them. But one does not have to turn the other cheek at
 rudeness either, since support is on a voluntary basis, and one does
 not _have_ to deal with rudeness.

	Unfortunately, one of the corollaries is that since support
 happens on a voluntary basis, interesting problems, or reports that
 point to flaws in packages tend to be more interesting (ulterior
 motive -- fixing flaws improves my own experience with the software).

 David> I maintain that RTFM is not a suitable response.

	Teach a man to fish ....

	manoj
--
 He who hesitates is sometimes saved.