Re: Aptitude and apt-get

Mike Kuhar, 2002-Sep-10 04:03 -0400:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got a strange one.  As root, in aptitude, I'll do an update
> successfully.  Then I do an upgrade, the files download, the progress bar
> will not show total progress, just progress per file, then reset to 0% for
> the next file.  When the files complete downloading, I hit a carrige return
> to go to the installation phase, I get an error telling me that aptitude
> couldn't lock the cache, and will open it read only, and the upgrade stops.
>
> Using apt-get, I update successfully, I do upgrade, the files start
> downloading, again, instead of getting a total progress percentage at the
> begining of each line, I just get some bogus number.  When downloading is
> complete, I get an error message telling me that every file I just watched
> download is missing, and maybe I should try again with --fix-missing.
>
> If I do something like 'apt-get --reinstall install apt', this works.  If I
> use apt-get to install a new package, it installs the new package
> successfully along with any dependancies.
>
> I'm running unstable with the 2.4.19 kernel on three machines, and this
> strange behavior only affects one machine.  Anyone one got any ideas as to
> the problem?

After you reinstall apt, do you get this problem again at all?  It
seems like you had dpkg, dselect, apt or aptitude running somewhere
else whily tried to do the update.  By reinstalling, that would stop
any other apt processess to reinstall, which would remove the lock.

just a thought...jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User