Re: Mice can not work in a new kernel 2.4.19

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 15:29, Willy Sutrisno wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed a Debian Woody to my new system, the kernel default
is 2.2.x. Since this kernel does not support Geforce 4. I need to have
the latest kernel. So I downloaded the latest kernel from debian, it is
2.4.19. After I have configure the kernel according to my system, I
compiled it and install it. Reboot.... and I am in.

> After compilation, I installed the Nvidia driver, and change the
XFree86 config accordingly. Try to run 'startx', everything runs normal.
I am now running IceWM, but my mouse has no reaction. So I thought maybe
I have setup wrongly, I went back to the console and try every single
possibility for the mouse section. By the way my mouse is Logitech Wheel
Mouse Optical plug to the PS2 port. This mice can be plug to the USB
port, but to make things simpler I dont do that.

> The strange thing is that, when I load kernel 2.2 ,the gpm can detect
my mouse and I can use my mouse in the console. But when I load kernel
2.4 , the gpm can not detect my mice so does X. Since I cant use kernel
2.2 to load my X, I cant tell you whether the mice will work in X
environment.

> Is it because I miss something when I compile the new kernel? Which
modules should I load for this mice?

you need CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y in /usr/src/linux/.config

If you use make xconfig, it is in Character Devices, Mice.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.
      Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your
      hearts, you double minded."       James 4:8