Re: OT: storing laptop (Li-ion) batteries

On Monday 09 September 2002 07:03 pm, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 08:05:57PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> | also sprach Joe Hendrix <jhendrix@uiuc.edu> [2002.09.09.2003 +0200]:
> | > Seal them in bags so they stay dry and store them in the freezer.  They
> | > should stay charged quite a bit longer.
> |
> | Anyone ever done this?
>
> No, but it sounds reasonable.  Batteries create electricity as a
> result of a chemical reaction.  Chemical reactions are slower when the
> environment is cold, thus putting the batt. in a freezer will slow
> down the reaction.  Effectively you are looking for a "pause" button
> on the reaction until you are ready to use the battery, and slowing
> the reaction with a cold environment is the closest you'll be able to
> come.
>
> HTH,
> -D

i've had a store of [originally 24] lithium 3 volt desktop batteries in the
freezer for about two years. the most recent one i pulled one from that stock
was about three months ago, to replace a dead one in a friend's box, and it
appears to be as fresh as the first one i put in one of my own machines back
when i got them. so, although i'm not talking about laptop batteries, in my
experience, the theory holds.

ben