OT: storing laptop (Li-ion) batteries

because one of my laptops died right after its warranty expired (how
could it have been different), i am left with two spare batteries that
i can use for my other laptop. thus, i now have four batteries, but
the laptop only holds two at a time. because i have just gone through
a battery trauma because i kept a battery out of system for too long
so that it now can't be recharged no more, i am wondering how i should
go about storing the two batteries that i don't use?

or is the only real way to deal with this situation periodic swapping?

philosophy: unintelligible answers to insoluble problems.