Re: cups -newbie

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls said:

> I was just testing different cups drivers for my HP 560c printer.  I have
> a  desktop and a laptop.  My desktop driver was S L O W to print.  When I

I don't know if it's related, but I had a similar problem on FreeBSD
with cups, after a couple months of uptime all-of-a-sudden CUPS was
printing SLOW(slow as in 1 page per 10 minutes). Turns out my parallel
port was not configured for interrupt driven operation(which, by default
is off in linux, and apparently freeBSD).

if your using kernel 2.2 do something like:

echo 7 >/proc/parport/0/irq
(where 7 is the IRQ of your parallel port, most often it is 7)

if your using kernel 2.4 I believe you need to specify the
option on the command line(or in modules.conf) something
like:

modprobe lp irq=7

see if it speeds it up ??

nate