low ripping speed ??

I'm using grip to rip with a recent DVD drive (bought in july). The rip speed is VERY slow, i don't get much higher
than 2.4x. Someone suggested using cdda2wav instead of the standard slower cdparanoia, and I checked the DMA too,
but still no effect. Is this behaviour normal ?? Am i missing a kernel config option or something. My top
states 71.5 % activity -> oggenc and 23.0 % system on my Athlon XP 1800+ system with 512Mb RAM.

Any ideas ?

Thx in advance
--
It is, of course, a bit of a drawback that science was invented after I left school. -- Lord Carrington