Re: syncronizing two directories

Marcelo Chiapparini <chiappa@uerj.br> writes:

> Hi!
>
> thanks a lot to all the people who asnwer my question so fast! I will
> try rsync and unison

Note that rsync is really only useful for one-way transfers, ie. for
mirroring a directory.  It won't handle cases well where, for example,
one file was deleted on one machine, and another file was deleted on the
other machine you're trying to synchronize.  Nor does it handle
conflicts.

Unison is a much better tool for 2-way synchronization.  It will track
deletions, handle conflicts, etc.  It also uses the rsync protocol for
transfers, so it's just as efficient as rsync.

--
People said I was dumb, but I proved them!