Re: Login to home from work

On Monday 09 September 2002 03:14, Phil Reardon wrote:
> What needs to be set up in order to login to my home box from work?  At
> home there is a cable modem, then a router, then two linux boxes, with
> mine running debian (sid). I have a 192.168.2.xx ip address.

define "login"...
terminal login ? login with GUI (vnc etc) ? what are you trying to do ??

for terminal login (telnet, ssh) you will have to have a telnet\ssh server
installed, open ports for connection (23 for telnet, 22 for ssh) and a client
on the side you are calling from.
you cannot connect to a fake ip (your 192.168.x.x) you will need the external
ip address of your cable modem.
after doing that, you can read the iptables man page and learn how to create
rules in your iptables for direct connection to your other machine (port
forwarding)

tal.