Re: Sun4M booting!

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 10:27:11AM -0500, Terry Dabbs wrote:
> To the Great Penguin in the sky,
> or Pumpkin?
> I have purchased what is apparently the "potato" release for sparc. I
> acquired two Sparc600LM servers ($27 for the pair!) which are at this
> time runnung Sunos 4.1.3, which I am (or was, in the past) very
> familiar. I very much want to install the debian release, but it appears
> that the 4M architechure (or more probably the boot program) will simply
> not load onto the system. What I am used to with Sparc and HPUX, is an
> install boot program loading into memory, asking how you wish to
> procede, and then loading the system disks, etc.
> I have tried a number of scenarios, and some appeared to be successful,
> that is, you could see the the penguin in the upper left, see all the
> linux device names instead of Sunos ones. Then, after the initial boot,
> init appears to be looking, or not know where to look for rc files and
> the like, instead of loading the new release.
> I realize the instructions say that this is simply solved by going to
> floppies, well, this system has no floppy drive, just a CD and and
> ancient 150MB scsi tape reader.
> If you have that monkey that can install this, due to its utter
> simplicity to install, please have him contact me.
>
> I don't have what I typed in front of me, but it was along these lines:
>
> b cdrom ( this was too easy ..., and was useless.)
> b cdrom linux root=/dev/sda1 cfstype=sun ( This, or something similar,
> gets me the boot, and then:)
>
> Warning: Unable to open init console: init ( After we boot and its
> looking very good, it bails.... )
>
> Terry Dabbs

Hi Terry,

you might want to send this to debian-sparc.

Andreas

--

email:	Andreas.Obermaier@port22.net
mobile:	+49 179 8725141

GPG Keyid 0x0FCD0EE2
GPG Fingerprint C2FF 6147 0ADB 1674 4096  2339 370F CBDF 0FCD 0EE2

fortune - print a random, hopefully interesting, adage:

The difference between America and England is that the English think 100
miles is a long distance and the Americans think 100 years is a long time.