Re: Main breakup?

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 06:28:45PM +0100, Matthew Hambley wrote:
> So I see but after just spending another 13m on-line just to find out that
> a single package needs to be upgraded I am left wondering why all this
> discussion hasn't turned into action.

Because it's not very obvious how it could be done well: each person may
only use 10% of the available packages, but it's a radically different
10% for everyone. Also it would be a large amount of work to split the
main archive this way, both in initial setup and in continuing
maintenance and tuning.

pdiffs are a better solution: <http://auric.debian.org/~bjb/pdiffs/>.
Unfortunately <http://people.debian.org/~bjb/> which used to have the
required client program for those seems to have disappeared in the
recent move of people.debian.org; I'll try to track it down.