Re: Next step in bringing my Woody up to date

On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 21:45, David Teague wrote:

> Please CC: teague@jackson.main.nc.us with replyies.
>
> The subject says it all.
>
> On my K6 350, 64 MB RAM, I am running Woody, installed circa Nov 2001, My
> sources.list points to stable and include security. If I understand things
> correctly, I now need to run the commands
>
>   apt-get update
>   apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> to bring my system up to date. I can then run
>
>   apt-get install (whatever packages I want)
>
> or I could use dselect.
>
> Is this correct? Any more advice?

True.  You should be able to use this to keep yourself up to date.  You
will have to use apt-get dist-upgrade first because your system seems to
be out of date from the time before woody became stable so you may have
to do a couple of loops of apt-get dist-upgrade || apt-get -f install
before it completely is updated.  Then after that you should be able to
just use apt-get update && apt-get upgrade once a week or more in order
to bring down security updates.