Re: Spam Bouncer -> Spamassain conversion?

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 11:00:24AM -0400, stan wrote:
> I've got a Debian unstable box that POP's mail for all of the users here at
> home, then sends it to procmail. Procmail has the (unfortunately no longer
> maintained) Spam Bouncer recipes in it.
>
> Unfortunately, since Spam Bouncer is not being maintained, I'm starting to
> see more spam slip through than I am willing o tolerate.
>
> Reading through the list, it looks like Spamassain is the current good
> choice here (alternate thoughts?).
>
> So, how should I go about making this conversion? If it matters, each use
> runs fetchmail from a cron task to POP the mail from various accounts.

Spamassassin works quite well for me.  Per the documentation, I put the
following in ~/.procmailrc:

:0fw
| spamassassin -P

:0e
{
    EXITCODE=$?
}

:0:
caughtspam

The last recipe writes all the spam to a file I inspect before deleting
the messages, as sometimes non-spam gets flagged.  You can whitelist
specific addresses and/or change the weighting to tailor the filters to
your own needs.

I am running testing/sarge.  If you don't keep spamassassin updated,
you will find that more stuff starts slipping through.  I typically
find that much less than 1 percent of the spam gets through, however.

Bob