Re: CD ripping & burning speed...

On Saturday 07 September 2002 18:11, Vittorio wrote:
> Now speaking with (would-be or so-called) "experts" at office of
> "high quality audio CD burning" I'm becoming somewhat confused.
>
> A part of them say "the lower the ripping and burning speed the
> better" so for both speeds they recommend not to go faster than 4x.
>
> Others say that ripping speed is critical, so the 4x limit should
> apply to this phase only.
>
> Finally, the remaing experts say that nowadays there are no
> limitations of any kind on speed.
>
> What's your opinion on this subject?

Mostly, the speed debate is born from the fact that audio CDs contain
rather less error correcting data thad data CDs and some drives fail to
read the data correctly, sometimes depending on the speed of the drive.
Nowadays, most drives should get good results at stock speeds and most
don't rip audio at foll speed anyway. Then there's ripping software
like cdparanoia that employs all kinds of techniques to overcome weak
spots of the drive, so you can be pretty sure that what you get written
do disk is an accurate replica of the CD contents (not counting diverse
criminal activities on behalf of the producing companies).

As for burning, I made the observation that the most important factor
there is the type - and strangely brand - of CDR you're using. For
example, I can burn anything I want at any speed I want to Intenso
discs, but if I try anything on Platinum (even at singlespeed...
blargh), the next drive that sees it just calls me names. (I mean that.
You wouldn't think a drive could make the noises, but it's possible.)
Then there's the thing that audio players seem to like "newer"
substrates better due to better contrast between pits and lands, but
that shouldn't be a problem if you don't use discs bought some years
ago.

--
Embedded Linux -- True multitasking!
TWO TOASTS AT THE SAME TIME!