From: Donald R. Spoon [mailto:dspoon@astcomm.net]
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 4:31 PM
To: Debian Users
Subject: Re: Woody on a 486/50

David Sanders wrote:
> I'm trying to install Woody on a 486/50 with 8MB RAM & SCSI CD/HD.
> I boot with a DOS floppy, go to CD:\install and execute boot.bat.
> Everything seems to be working until it outputs something like:
> RAMDISK: Found compressed image at sector 0
> Then it hangs and locks up the machine requiring a CTRL-ALT-DEL
>
> Any suggested remedy?
>
> David Sanders
> david@sandersweb.net
> http://www.sandersweb.net

The ramdisk needs a default value of a little over 4 Megs of "free"
memory to setup.  Since your computer is locking up at this point, you
may be having a memory-shortage problem.  It should work, but I can't
say for sure since, it has been a long time since I installed Debian
with anything less than 64 Megs of RAM.  You might have a defective
memory stick in there...dunno.  Anyway, if possible, try sticking in
some more memory if you can.  You won't regret it....

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-