Re: VPN beginner -- help!

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:01:29 -0700 (PDT) Mike Patterson
<mikekpatterson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So I dounloaded 2.2R7 and installed it.
(snip)
> many sets of documentation indicate that support for this was added to
> the kernel, and I shouldn't need to do any patching, etc. Is this true?
> Am I missing the correct modules to add?

Depends on the kernel version you are using.  It's been quite a while
since I used a 2.2.x kernel, but I seem to recall that ipchains _did_ need
a pptp module loaded to support MS PPTP based VPNs.  The 2.4.x kernels on
the other hand do _not_ need a module.

For the 2.4.x kernels, I believe your easiest route is to upgrade to
Debian 3.0 (woody) and install one of the provided kernel-images.

--
Jamin W. Collins