Re: More samba questions

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Mike Egglestone wrote:

> Quoting Mike Dresser <mdresser_l@windsormachine.com>:
>

> > While I'm at it, any hints on optimizing samba a bit better for speed?
> >
> > A win95/98/NT machine averages about 1500 kps here.
> >
> > The w2k machine averages around 2500-3000 kps.
> >
> > I've done 8000 kps ftp's to the machine before.  So just which side is so
> > grossly inefficient?
> >
> > And how do i tune that side?
>
> http://www.patoche.org/LTT/samba/00000014.html

Tried it, no difference is noticeable.   I'm suspecting windows just can't
feed it fast enough.

If I run multiple smbtar's at once, the rate goes up a bit more, but still
plateau's at around 3 meg a second.  Watching vmstat on a p4/2.53, i'm
seeing 20,000 context switches a second, and something like 4000 packets a
second on the ethernet.

The pentium 133 at another plant can pull files off the network just as
fast as the p4/2.53, for whatever reason.

Mike