Re: how does one shut up /dev/dsp message when Gnome starts up?

Jamin W. Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> [2002-09-05 10:01:44 -0500]:
> Based on the /proc/pci output from your XFree86 question, we find the
> following in the pcitable file:
> 0x8086 0x24c5  "unknown"       "Intel Corp.|82801DB AC"
>
> A Google search on 82801DB turned up the following site:
>
> http://pciids.sourceforge.net
>
> Which appears to indicate that this is an AC'97, which IIRC is fairly
> generic.  You may be able to use the alsa snd-intel8x0 driver.
> Configuration information can be found here:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&module=intel8x0

My machine says this:

  00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82820 820
  (Camino 2) Chipset AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 04)

And uses the i810_audio 'Intel ICH audio support' driver.  Looks
similar to the above.  Perhaps the same driver.

I have been recommending running 'modconf' in order to install drivers.

Bob