Re: fonts too large

Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net> writes:

> * Sean 'Shaleh' Perry (shalehperry@attbi.com) [020904 21:58]:
>> On Wednesday 04 September 2002 19:50, Brian Nelson wrote:
>> > But note that, as stated in xfonts-100dpi description field,
>> > "xfonts-100dpi may be more suitable for large monitors and/or large
>> > screen resolutions (over 1024x768)."
>> >
>> > In that case, you'd be better off just changing the font size manually
>> > (through Gnome/KDE's control center, or whatever).
>>
>> maybe for those with poor eyesight but I find that 100dpi fonts are always too
>> big.

Because most apps seem to have really poorly chosen default font sizes.
Correct your font sizes; don't use an inaccurate dpi setting for your
monitor.

> Well, that's neither here nor there.  The dpi setting is useful for
> setting a screen font size that correlates to a "real-world"
> measurement: 1 pt is 1/72 of an inch, not an arbitrary number of pixels.
> So if you're running at higher resolution, such that 100 dots take an
> inch on your screen, it's more appropriate to use 100dpi fonts.  If you
> want more real estate, use a smaller point size.  When using fonts whose
> dpi matches your actual screen dpi, you'll find that the same point size
> is the same point size and provides the same readability, whether you
> use 1280 or (gasp!) 600 pixels across your screen.

Yep.  Jeffrey Baker wrote up an even more elaborate description of this
topic a few months ago here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200204/msg01679.html

--
People said I was dumb, but I proved them!