fonts too large

I recently upgraded to woody (actually I ended up doing a clean
install, for reasons I won't get into), and now most of the fonts in
application windows are way too large.  Examples include:  menus,
dialog boxes and input fields in netscape, mozilla, dillo and
acroread, to name a few.  (The font preference for netscape et al only
affect the document fonts, not the menus and toolbars.)

Can anyone tell me how to change this?  I'm using xfs (tried changing
the default-point-size in /etc/X11/fs/config but it had no effect).
I've been using fvwm started by gdm, but it doesn't seem to matter
which window manager or desktop I use.

Thanks in advance.

David Zelinsky