Re: programming in linux

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 16:13, Irvin Temp wrote:
> Ive just been exploring programming in linux. I want to install all
> teh headers for c and c++, but im not sure what are the packages
> needed to be installed?
>
> is it glibc only? where can i get a list of all the libraries package
> in debian that can be used for c programming.

Wrong question ;-) Basically, what you want (and need) to know is "what
do I want to use for C programming?"

It wholly depends on what you want to do. About every library brings
along a matching "-dev" package conteining the headers you need. So if
you want to write GTK applications, install libgtk[version]-dev. If you
want to do some stuff with OGG encoded audio, install libogg-dev and
libvorbis-dev. You can get all this on a needed-basis.

Everything you need to write simple console programs should be installed
along with libc6-dev.

Most (if not all) -dev packages come with documentation that conatins at
least a pointer to further information about how to use the respective
library.

--
Embedded Linux -- True multitasking!
TWO TOASTS AT THE SAME TIME!