Re: 486 machine with >=9.1G Scsi drive?

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:43:51 +0300, shaulka@bezeqint.net wrote:

>Will Debian run on 486 machine with a >= 9.1G Scsi drive?
>
>The Scsi host adapter is either Adaptec AHA2842A (aic7xxx driver)
>or Adaptec AHA1542 (aha1542 driver). In particular, leaving the boot
>process aside, are there any issues of using these old adapters with
>large disks during normal system run time?

Whether it will BOOT from SCSI disks that large? Probably yes, because SCSI uses
a sector translation similar to LBA since its very beginning.

Whether it will be able to USE SCSI disks that large if you boot from an IDE
hard drive or floppy disk? Yes, definitely. As soon as the Linux SCSI driver for
the hostadapter is loaded you will be able to use the full power of Linux. :-)

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\