Mouse Problems in X

I have a Logitech 2 button optical USB mouse, with a wheel, and I cannot
get it to work properly in x.  If I move the mouse around, the cursor
goes to the top-left corner, and bounces around that area.  I have tried
different protocols, such as Microsoft and IMPS/2, and tried to follow
the steps outlines on various sites, but I am lost.

Most recently, I tried the guide at
http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html, but got confused at the
very first part. It says:

"In the kernel configuration stage, you need to turn on USB Human
Interface Device (HID) support in the USB support and Mouse Support in
the Input core support."

I'm not sure what they mean by kernel configuration stage? Do they mean
during the initial setup?  Will I have to rebuild my kernel to get this
to work?  It also says I'll need to load the input.o, hid.o, and
mousedev.o modules.  I don't have these.  Are these in the kernel
source, for me to add when I rebuild?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

travis troyer