What else do I need to change?

Obviously new at this custom kernel stuff.  Currently using the default

Figured I would start my learning by using the .config file from

and the source package

and trying to eliminate the initrd need by changing the ext3 from the
default module and building it into the kernel.

make-kpkg -rev Custom.0 kernel-image created the .deb without a problem
and the install was uneventful

However that kernel fails to boot from

grub (GNU GRUB 0.91)

hanging with a request to supply a proper root partition.  I know I have
the proper root boot parameter as I copied the section from the working

# For booting DebianSystem-1stDrive
    title Linux-Debian_Default
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-k6 root=/dev/hda5
    initrd /initrd.img-2.4.18-k6

     title Debian-NewBuild
     root (hd0,0)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18 root=/dev/hda5