CustomKernel-EliminatingInitrdNeed

What else do I need to change?

Obviously new at this custom kernel stuff.  Currently using the default

initrd.img-2.4.18-k6
vmlinuz-2.4.18-k6

Figured I would start my learning by using the .config file from

kernel-headers-2.4.18-k6

and the source package

 kernel-source-2.4.18

and trying to eliminate the initrd need by changing the ext3 from the
default module and building it into the kernel.

make-kpkg -rev Custom.0 kernel-image created the .deb without a problem
and the install was uneventful

However that kernel fails to boot from

grub (GNU GRUB 0.91)

hanging with a request to supply a proper root partition.  I know I have
the proper root boot parameter as I copied the section from the working
section

# For booting DebianSystem-1stDrive
    title Linux-Debian_Default
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-k6 root=/dev/hda5
    initrd /initrd.img-2.4.18-k6

     title Debian-NewBuild
     root (hd0,0)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18 root=/dev/hda5