Re: PPP asks my ISP for password

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 10:25:36PM +0100, Anna Lawless wrote:
> Having finally got what I thought was a working box, I can't dial
> out. Whichever method I use, I either can't connect to my ISP or
> the connection is refused by my box.
> I type 'pon', having set up ppp in the normal Debian way. Nothing
> happens. I'll go back into it to try to find the log message.
> I can dial out with kppp, but as soon as I'm connected pppd dies,
> with the message 'cannot obtain a password for this IP address'.
> Obviously I can't get a password from my ISP and I've searched
> everywhere to try to find out which file it's in.
>
> I attempted to add a pppuser account, in the hope that would solve
> the problem. But I got a segmentation fault so that didn't work.
>
> Finally, I have Woody with the vanilla kernel. I installed from
> DVD, seemed easier than seven cds. But when I try to add packages
> using dselect it exits with a 'unknown fs type' error. IsO is
> supported, I can read from the drive.
>
> Would the compact kernel provide better support for a cd-writer
> and a dvd drive? The DVD was recognised and added to fstab
> automatically, although I did have to specify it was on /dev/hdd
> first, but the cd-rw drive I had to manually enter in fstab. As
> cd-writers use scsi emulation, could I have problems there.

Concerning ppp: In both idepci and compact there is a very nice
ppp configure program that leads you through the setup of ppp.
For almost all ISPs, choose PAP authorization, and it will set it
up. It sounds to me as if you have it setup to try two way passwords.
This is a special paranoid authorization mode which you use if you
are worried that someone will tap you phone line and pretend to be
your ISP and fake you into giving your password. Review carefully
your answers to questions to see if you have mistakenly choosen
this. Of course, if you did mean to choose this, you have to do
some extra negotiation with your ISP about the 'wrong way' password.
Look for pppconfig.

Also, during install look for an alternative set that is something
like 'set kernel boot parameters' and insert 'hd?=ide-scsi', where
? is a letter a,b,c, or d, depending which /dev/ is your CDwriter.
For writing you don't need an entry in fstab for your writer, but
you do need cdrecord and mkisofs, both are debian packages. If you
use your writer as a reader of CDs, you will have to configure fstab
and as if you CD device were a SCSI device. You will have no
problem with cd-rw, if you are lucky enough to do it right the first
time.

Paul