Re: real transparency (under X11)

On Sunday 01 September 2002 16:35, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> In article <[🔎] E17lVSl-0000l6-00@hyperion.heim.lan>,
>
> Christian Schoenebeck  <christian.schoenebeck@epost.de> wrote:
> >I'm still waiting for the ability to use real transparency. What's
> > the deal with this anyway? I mean, what is the problem that there's
> > still only pseudo transparency?
>
> Someone has to design how this fits in with the existing X11
> protocol, probably develop an extension, then write the code,
> and invent and document an API for this.

I think that's exactly what the XRender extension is supposed to do. It
works fairly well, but it does apparently still work with a snapshot to
create transparency. I don't know enough about the X11 protocol to say
anything definitive, but I think, part of the problem is that hidden
parts of the desktop are just not transmitted for a redraw which would
be necessary for true transparency to work.

Another problem that's rather serious is the question "what for". IMHO,
that's the real problem hampering the development of such gimmicks.

--
Embedded Linux -- True multitasking!
TWO TOASTS AT THE SAME TIME!