Re: slow gl graphics

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Geoff Crompton wrote:

[...]
>   I'm running xfree4. So do I need to get the deivce3dfx-source package,
>   and compile a module? I am running 2.4.18, does this include that
>   module already?
>   Are the libglide2 libraries what I want for xfree4?
>
>   Thanks
>   Geoff
you don't need the device3dfx-source package with xfree4. your
xfree86config-4 should contain something like that:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Voodoo3"
        Driver          "tdfx"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "glx"
	[...]
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

when you start x, the log should show some tdfx-infos.

you need to have libglide3 and xlibmesa3 installed. if you do a
glxinfo it's output should look like that:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.2
client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Voodoo3 20010501 x86/MMX
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2
OpenGL extensions:
[...]

everything should work now (hopefully).