Re: raidhotadd and RAID1

hi ya michael

-- looks like we have a mis-communication.. lets try it again

my understanding so far..

- you had sda and sdb running as raid1 ( mirroring ) before
	- if this not the case... all bets are off

- than sdb dies .... you replaced it ...

and now we are trying to rebuild the raid1 as it should be
( that the system can boot off either sda or sdb
	- simply doing something like  "hotswapadd /dev/sdb"
	will automatically do all the magic to rebuild the raid
	as it was before the disk crashed

---------

now for more stuff...
	- if you replace a dead sdb with a new disk...
	and if you have raid1 properly configured...
	-- the system will resync and copy all the files
	for yoou ...automatically... need to do the hotswap command tho

	- you can watch its progress w/ "cat /proc/mdstat"
	and it will tell you how far along it is for
	resyncing the new disk into the raid setup

	- if you are typing/copying stuff manually...
	you do NOT have raid1 properly configured
	( and risk losing the remaining raid disk too )

- if during the time you only have 1 disk running, you
  are in degraded raid mode... and if you lose that remaining partition or
  disk and you lose everything...
	- bad idea to run in degraded mode

- hope you have daily backups (elsewhere)of the data on the raid subsystem

have fun
alvin