Re: raidhotadd and RAID1

On 30 Aug, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya michael
>
> if your system was not previously running as /dev/md0 ...
> you do NOT have "raid up and booting and adding the second disk"
>
> there is no such thing as "raid" on one disk..
> ( well, within normal assumptions anyway ...

Oops, forgot to add CC to the list in my reply to you.

Short for the list:

The system *is* up and running on RAID1 (/dev/md0 as /) but with the
second disk still failed (created the RAID with a failed disk directive
in /etc/raidtab for that drive, then copied system to temp. mounted
md0and did the necessary changes to have the system boot from RAID).
The original drive (the one marked as failed when creating the RAID) has
been nuked and repartitioned/reformatted.

The only problem is that raidhotadd considers the second disk to small.
They're identical 18G IBM drives and partitoned identically - as far as
fdisk can tell. I've tried increasing the size of the partition that's
involved in the RAID1 at the cost of the swap partition, but still no go
despite the partition on the disk I try to add is definately larger than
the existing one in the RAID...

/Michael