Re: repairing a ntfs partition with fdisk?

On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 02:38, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> I don't think the partition magic rescue disks are meant for filesystem repair
> so much as power failure recovery.  At least that's the case with System
> Commander, which also can resize and move partitions.

Possible, to be honest I was just assuming that they are capable of
repairing. Next time I better check what can and cannot be done with a
rescue disk.

> If you don't want to use non-free software you might try mounting the partition
> read-only using Linux' NTFS filesystem driver and tarring the data off.

Yeap, that is what I already did to access important stuff. The thing is
that currently I only have my laptop here without any other computer
available, and my linux partition is already filled with tarballs from
w2k. But since there is no real need to hurry, I will probably use eth0
to transfer everything to a friends pc next week.

> But to run Win2k's filesystem check:
>
> Boot into Windows.
>
> Open "My Computer" and right-click on your hard drive icon
>
> Click the tools tab.
>
> Click the button in the "error checking" box.  You probably want to check the
> "Fix errors automatically" box but maybe you want to not get errors fixed the
> first time through so you can just see what's wrong.
>
> Click OK.
>
> If this is your boot volume Windows will tell you it can't get a lock on the
> drive, and offer to schedule it for the next startup.  Click OK.
>
> Reboot.
>
> The filesystem check will run late in the Windows startup process, before the
> desktop background appears.  There will be some progress information.  I think
> if errors are found it will repair them and reboot so it can run the check again.
>
> I don't know if it will fix your problem but it's worked for me.

Since I cannot even boot Windows successful that option is not a viable
one for me right now, thanks for the specific explanation anyway ;)

> Before anyone suggest you should have resized your partitions with GNU parted, I
> just user parted to resize nine partitions on my laptop (3 fat, 2 ext2, 2 BeOS
> BFS, 1 linux swap, 1 extended to contain the logical partitions).
>
> I had two segmentation violations while I was working with parted, and after I
> was done I found that running e2fsck on my ext2 linux root partition would spew
> a bunch of errors and then make e2fsck crash.  The errors can't be repaired, I'm
> going to have to reinitialize the filesystem and reinstall Linux.

And ss far as I can see from the description of the parted package, it
won't work for ntfs ... thanks for the warning though.

I was just hoping there is some 'magic trick' I could perform to repair
the w2k partition using a linux tool ... but we will see.

Thanks

Matt