repairing a ntfs partition with fdisk?

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

I don't think the partition magic rescue disks are meant for filesystem repair so much as power failure recovery. At least that's the case with System Commander, which also can resize and move partitions.

You can use Windows 2000's filesystem check though. Of course it would be best to back up everything you can first. If the data on your partition is really important to you, I would suggest you go buy Norton Ghost and do an image backup to CDROM. You can also back up to another machine via ethernet or USB cable.

If you don't want to use non-free software you might try mounting the partition read-only using Linux' NTFS filesystem driver and tarring the data off.

But to run Win2k's filesystem check:

Boot into Windows.

Open "My Computer" and right-click on your hard drive icon

Click the tools tab.

Click the button in the "error checking" box. You probably want to check the "Fix errors automatically" box but maybe you want to not get errors fixed the first time through so you can just see what's wrong.

Click OK.

If this is your boot volume Windows will tell you it can't get a lock on the drive, and offer to schedule it for the next startup. Click OK.

Reboot.

The filesystem check will run late in the Windows startup process, before the desktop background appears. There will be some progress information. I think if errors are found it will repair them and reboot so it can run the check again.

I don't know if it will fix your problem but it's worked for me.

Before anyone suggest you should have resized your partitions with GNU parted, I just user parted to resize nine partitions on my laptop (3 fat, 2 ext2, 2 BeOS BFS, 1 linux swap, 1 extended to contain the logical partitions).

I had two segmentation violations while I was working with parted, and after I was done I found that running e2fsck on my ext2 linux root partition would spew a bunch of errors and then make e2fsck crash. The errors can't be repaired, I'm going to have to reinitialize the filesystem and reinstall Linux.

So the parted folks have a bit of work left to do. (Sorry I haven't had a chance to file bugs about this yet.)

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/