Re: kmail, spamassassin

Corrin Lakeland <lakeland@cs.otago.ac.nz> [2002-08-30 12:46:30 +1200]:
> Steps to get spamassassin working:
> [...]
> Set exim to call spamassassin on incoming messages, using spamd.
> Write a rule in kmail that moves mail to spam if X-Spam-Status=yes
> [...]
> Personally I use exim -> procmail -> spamassassin, and I set kmail to access
> mail  via imaps, but you don't need that if you're happy writing filter rules

I personally prefer the procmail way to call spamassassin instead of
starting spamd.  With spamd you have to remember to restart it when
you change the rules and other issues.

The install docs on the SA site are pretty good.  Look there.  Jump
down to number 5 since with Debian you can avoid the previous steps
and just run apt-get.

  apt-get install spamassassin

  http://spamassassin.sourceforge.net/dist/INSTALL

    5. Create a .forward file in your home directory containing the
    below lines:

    "|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #user"

    6. Edit or create a .procmailrc file in your home directory
    containing the below lines.  If you already have a .procmailrc
    file, add the lines to the top of your .procmailrc file:

    :0fw
    | /usr/bin/spamassassin

    The above line filters all incoming mail through SpamAssassin and
    tags probable spam with a unique header.  If you would prefer to
    have spam blocked and saved to a file called "caughtspam" in your
    home directory, instead of passed through and tagged, append this
    directly below the above lines:

    :0:
    caughtspam

    7. Now, you should be ready to send some test emails and ensure
    everything works as expected.  First, send yourself a test email
    that doesn't contain anything suspicious.  You should receive it
    normally, but there will be a header containing "X-Spam-Status:
    No".  If you are only tagging your spam, send yourself an obvious
    spam mail and check to be sure it is marked as spam.  If your test
    emails don't get through to you, immediately rename your .forward
    file until you figure out cause of the the problem, so you don't
    lose incoming email.

Then you can test using these commands.

  zcat /usr/share/doc/spamassassin/sample-nonspam.txt.gz | spamassassin -Dt
  zcat /usr/share/doc/spamassassin/sample-spam.txt.gz | spamassassin -Dt

I know you said 'Kmail'.  But if you are using 'mutt', and others
might be, then I recommend using the Maildir/ format mailboxes.  In
which case the syntax changes to this.

  cd $MAILDIR
  mkdir -p caughtspam/{cur,new,tmp}

    :0
    caughtspam/

Although not perfect Spamassassin is very good.  Try it and you will
like it.

Bob