Re: kmail, spamassassin

> The story so far: I am using Kmail as my email client, running exim (ticked
> the sendmail box, but put the path to exim rather than sendmail - this
> seems to work), installed spamassasing via apt-get.
> I understand that I need to specify spamassassin as the MDA. Is there a way
> to do this for kmail ?

You want spamassassin to deliver your mail??  SpamAssassin takes a mail as
input, changes a couple headers and gives you the mail back, it doesn't know
anything about delivery.

Steps to get spamassassin working:

Make sure exim is installed (apt-get install exim)

Leave sending set to /usr/lib/sendmail or whatever it was  -- this is actually
exim, but it will behave like sendmail so as not to confuse kmail.

Set exim to call spamassassin on incoming messages, using spamd.

Write a rule in kmail that moves mail to spam if X-Spam-Status=yes

I might have got a couple details wrong but hopefully that will get you on the
right track.

Personally I use exim -> procmail -> spamassassin, and I set kmail to access
mail  via imaps, but you don't need that if you're happy writing filter rules
in kmail and you don't need to access mail remotely.

Corrin