Re: x-session-manager overrides x-window-manager

Well I forgot to mention that my partner uses the machine as well. She's
not as technical in computers as I am, so I setup xdm with two xservers
running:

maffew@celeste:~$ tail -3 /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
:0 local /usr/bin/X11/X :0 vt7 -deferglyphs 16
:1 local /usr/bin/X11/X :1 vt8 -deferglyphs 16
#:2 local /usr/bin/X11/X :2 vt9 -deferglyphs 16

So we just choose our own X by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7 or Ctrl-Alt-F8, and
then login. We can come back later and all our windows are the way the
were when we left them. I have buttons setup in icewm for xterm (for using
pine to check email) and opera (sorry but it's just the fastest by far on
older machines).

This works most of the time, although sometimes it spontaneously restarts
the second xserver about 2 minutes after booting up.

Using the console and startx just makes it more complicated and harder to
remember for non-geeks.

While I'm on the topic, some coworkers have recently started using WinXP,
and I am most impressed with the way WinXP handles switching between
users. On earlier versions of Windows, you never used to be able to keep a
user's windows open when someone else wanted to login as a different user.
But now they've finally implemented it, and it's much smoother than the
Xwindows method. It'd be nice to see it handled with similar aplomb on
Linux.

Mind you, there's various other multi-user stuff on WinXP that still needs
work. Certain things just seem brain dead to me. For example, if another
user is logged in and running programs, it tells you on the login screen
under that username.  And it nicely warns you before shutting down that
that user might lose data. But I can't figure out how you might safely get
in (even as root) and see whether they have unsaved data open in the apps
they're running.

It has a nice menu option to run any program as a different user, e.g. if
you are logged in as yourself, you can launch a particular program as
root.  But it does't work for explorer. Which is exactly the thing you
most want to be able to run as root, to quickly fix permissions problems
for example.

Another odd thing is when you login to a samba server, the login window
says username "guest" but you can't change it, however if you use "map
network drive" you can set the username, and it seems to remember that
later when you use the network neighbourhood to login -- even though it
still puts guest on the screen. Very odd.

Cheers,
Matthew.