Re: x-session-manager overrides x-window-manager

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 01:18:44PM +1000, matthew arnison wrote:
> Well I forgot to mention that my partner uses the machine as well. She's
> not as technical in computers as I am, so I setup xdm with two xservers
> running:
<snip>

> While I'm on the topic, some coworkers have recently started using WinXP,
> and I am most impressed with the way WinXP handles switching between
> users. On earlier versions of Windows, you never used to be able to keep a
> user's windows open when someone else wanted to login as a different user.
> But now they've finally implemented it, and it's much smoother than the
> Xwindows method. It'd be nice to see it handled with similar aplomb on
> Linux.

If you _must_ use XP or 2K, look at cygwin; check their mailing list
archive for 'useful cygwinism - explorer here' it makes windows almost
useful.

Not sure how to approach session management with startx; I am the only
one who uses my system, and it only reboots or restarts X when I install
a new kernel.... session management is a non-issue for me. I use bash/expect
scripts, ~/.bashrc entries, and blackbox menu items to get my workspaces
the way I like 'em with a couple (single letter) commands and mouse clicks.

dbx:~# uptime
  9:26pm  up 102 days, 13:41, 11 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

aloha,
dave