Re: lame in deb package

David Wright, 2002-Aug-29 00:45 -0700:

> >	I am just wondering if anyone have package lame in deb because I
> >wanna used it in debian but don't wanna just compile and install with no
> >debian package management.
>
> LAME isn't in the official Debian archives because, once compiled into
> an application, LAME _is_ an MP3 encoder. Distributing such an binary
> violates the licensing terms of the Frauenhofer Gesellshaft, which holds
> patents on MP3 compression. If you scour the web, though, you can find
> illegal .deb's.

I use "toolame"

$ apt-cache show toolame
Package: toolame
Section: sound
Installed-Size: 204
Maintainer: Brian Ristuccia <brianr@osiris.978.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 02i-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4)
Filename: pool/main/t/toolame/toolame_02i-2_i386.deb
Size: 53696
MD5sum: 88c13e17cbbad54732bce58f3df9795d
 toolame is a very fast (6x realtime on a 550mhz Celeron) MPEG-1 layer
 2 audio encoder with a command-line syntax nearly identical to that
 of the lame MPEG-1 layer 3 audio encoder. Because of patent issues
 surrounding the layer 3 encoder, the ability of most mpeg audio
 players to play layer 2 files, and the similarity in command-line
 syntax, toolame makes a very good drop-in replacement for lame or
 other layer 3 encoders under most circumstances.

The command set is pretty-much the same as for the actual lame
package.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer