Re: XMMS and the new MP3 patent terms

I am following this thread with interest, because this whole issue of
pattenting the wheel and then charging everyone who uses it is really quite
perverse.
I am a complete outsider as far as this kind of programming is concerned, but
I would like to get something a bit more clearer in my head. My parents have
been involved with patents at one stage or another in their lifes. And from
what I've seen they really had to work hard to prove that whatever they were
pattenting was original and not done before (this was/is happening in
Romania).
How then, can someone patent code which has been around and used for quite a
while I  just don't get it.