Re: donation to SPI as charitable organization from U.K.

On 28 Aug 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 07:07:10PM +0100, David Stone wrote:
> > I'm a Debian user in England, and should like to give some money to
> > help support the Debian project.  This really only applies, therefore,
> > to people in England and Wales, though perhaps people in other
> > countries may have analogous situations.
> >
> > I've been trying to work out how to do this tax-efficiently.  If I
> > give through an intermediate organization such as CAF
> > (http://www.cafonline.org), then I get tax relief on the donation.
> > CAF, however, must be satisfied that the final organization is one
> > which has charitable aims (as defined in the law of England and
> > Wales).  As far as I can tell, SPI qualifies, though IANAL.  I asked
> > them to check on SPI; they -- apparently -- wrote to SPI (I don't know
> > whom), but got no reply.  So:
> >
> > - Has anybody else in the U.K. done this successfully?  If so, how?
>
> I'm not sure, but http://www.spi-inc.org/donations links to a German
> organization. I don't know if that helps.
>
> > - Does anybody know whom to contact in SPI?  I could then pass on
> >   these contact details to CAF.
>
> Branden Robinson is the SPI Treasurer, and should be the first point of
> contact here. Mail <treasurer@spi-inc.org>.
>
> I'm also in England, and a member of SPI, so I'd be willing to help if
> there's a way to make donations simpler for everybody.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

I initiated some correspondence about this here several months ago. I
was eventually able to send a donation thanks to help from another list
member but no proper solution emerged.

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic