Re: Reiserfs stability??

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 01:19:39AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Thu, Aug 22, 2002, vellore satyanarayanan somasundaram (tuxsom@rediffmail.com) wrote:
> > Hi Friends,
> >
> >   Can anybody tell me how stable is Reiserfs? I would like to use
> > it on a Linux machine which will act as a web server. I know that
> > reiserfs is very good at handling small files. But what about
> > stability and crash recovery????
>

>     Linux version 2.2.18pre21 (root@shrink) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)) #1 Thu Jan 25 18:40:22 PST 2001
>
> Reiserfs for 1.5 years.  No problems.  Laptop.

Recently my disk produced some bad sectors on all the partitions (located at
the ends of the partitions), things went pretty wrong. The machine could
still be booted and ran pretty well. Some commands got segfaults (eg: su),
and Gnome icons got stripped (had stripes on them). I had to boot from
another disk (root is reiser too), run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree <device> on
all partions. Had to have a spare partition to store the filesystems
temporarily, and then shrink the partitions some cylinders, rebuild the
filesystems, copy back from the temporary partition.

I think it is important to have good disks. If the bad sectors surfaced
after some while, the filesystem can't handle them. Well, in fact, reiserfs
doesn't expect any bad sectors in the partitions. If your disks are new, and
they have bad sectors, reiserfs can't mark them either.

But it is really fast (compared to ext2), so I'd stick to it.

System is Debian Sid, kernel 2.4.5, IDE disk.

Oki