Hinting msttcorefonts--any defoma experts?

There've been bugs opened against the msttcorefonts package for quite a
while asking that it be defoma-ized so that the system can actually use
the fonts after they're installed, without hand-hacking the X server
and/or font server config files.

I thought I might take a swing at creating the defoma hints file for the
Microsoft packages myself.

I've played a bit with the defoma-hints tool, enough to know that I
really have very little idea what I'm doing :).  I'm willing to do the
clickety-clickety necessary to get the hints file created, but are there
any docs which I could look at that might give me an idea as to what the
right values are for things like GeneralFamily and Shape, etc.?

Or, has anyone else already attempted this and have a hints file I could
look at?

Also, I'd like to create some X aliases (as in fonts.alias) so that apps
which do not support scalable fonts can still use the TrueType fonts,
but apparently the Alias field in the hints file is not the same thing;
at any rate, adding aliases there did not result in anything being added
to the fonts.alias file in the /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs
directory after I ran defoma-font register ...  Is there any way to set
fonts.alias values for a font via defoma?

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools